Several habitats of the maritime croplands were created in the Living Field garden to allow plants with different needs to flourish. The soil is the same – the habitats differ in the type of seed or plants originally introduced, management, shade and wetness.
The habitats are
- meadow – perennial, cut for hay
- pond and ditch – wet and shady
- hedge and tree – linear and vertical space, creating shade and shelter
- cornfield – annuals growing with crops
- cropped field – cultivated, sown, harvested
The menu to the right also links to pages on each habitat.
[last update: 22 May 2016]